BERKELEY SYMPOSIUM ON POVERTY, THE DISTRIBUTION OF INCOME,
A Conference Honoring Eugene Smolensky
December 12-13, 2003
Author: Alan J. Auerbach, University of California, Berkeley
Author: David Card, University of California, Berkeley
Author: John M. Quigley, University of California, Berkeley
Chair: Frank Levy, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
1. Social Security and the Evolution of Eldery Poverty.
Author: Gary Engelhardt, Syracuse University
Author: Jonathan Gruber, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Discussant: Ronald Lee, University of California, Berkeley Commentary
Discussant: David Card, University of California, Berkeley Commentary
2. The Socioeconomic Status of Black Males: The Increasing Importance of Incarceration.
Author: Steven Raphael, University of California, Berkeley Presentation
Discussant:Robert Plotnick, University of Washington Commentary Presentation
Discussant: Michael Stoll, University of California, Los Angeles Commentary
Chair: Siobhan Reilly, Mills College
3. What did the 1990s Welfare Reforms Accomplish?
Author: Rebecca Blank, University of Michigan Presentation
Discussant: Hillary Hoynes, University of California, Davis Commentary
Discussant: Robert Haveman, University of Wisconsin Commentary
4. The Take-Up of Social Benefits.
Author: Janet Currie, University of California, Los Angeles
Discussant: Sheldon Danziger, University of Michigan Commentary
Discussant: Irwin Garfinkel, Columbia University Commentary
Chair: Marcus Alexis, Northwestern University
5. Public Health and Mortality: What Can We Learn from the Past?
Author: Dora L. Costa, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Presentation
Author: Matthew E. Kahn, Tufts University (Stanford University)
Discussant: Peter Lindert, University of California, Davis Commentary
Discussant: Barbara Wolfe, University of Wisconsin Commentary Presentation
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 13, 2003
Chair: John Ellwood, University of California, Berkeley
6. The Distributional Effects of Environmental Regulation.
7. The Measurement and Evolution of Health Inequality: Evidence from the U.S.Medicare Population
Author: Jonathan Skinner, Dartmouth College Presentation
Author: Weiping Zhou, Dartmouth College
Discussant: Victor R. Fuchs, Stanford University Commentary Presentation
Discussant: Julian Le Grand, London School of Economics Commentary
Chair: Nathan Rosenberg, Stanford University
8. Government Programs and Social Outcomes: The United States in Comparative Perspective.
Author: Timothy Smeeding, Syracuse University Presentation
Discussant: Joel Slemrod, University of Michigan Commentary
Discussant: David Wise, Harvard University
9. Income and Wealth Concentration in a Historical and International Perspective.
Author: Emmanuel Saez, University of California, Berkeley
Discussant: Roger Gordon, University of California, San Diego Commentary
Discussant: John Karl Scholz, University of Wisconsin Commentary Presentation